About

From Victorian School to Village Hall

Historical view of Cornish Hall End Village Hall

Originally built as the village school in 1847

Historical Timeline

1847

Original School Built

Village school first built by the Gent family of Moyns Park

1871

School Rebuilt

Re-built by the Gent family along with an attached school house

1940s

Wartime Service

Nearly 100 children attended, including evacuees during WWII

1950s

Becomes Village Hall

School use ended, donated to village for community use

1956

Official Opening

Opened by Mr ER Yates following initial refurbishment

2019

Major Refurbishment

Under Peter Dacey's leadership, 3 years of planning and fundraising resulted in complete modernisation

2025

Extensive Redecoration

Summer redecoration project to maintain the hall's high quality finish

Our Story

Cornish Hall End's Village Hall was originally the village school, first built in 1847 by the Gent family of Moyns Park, who then were also responsible for it being re-built, along with an attached school house, in 1871. It remained a school until the 1950's when it became the village hall. It underwent a major refurbishment in 2019, following an amazing fundraising effort by the village hall management Trustees and local villagers.

Inside, the original roof timbers, which were boarded over for nearly 60 years, have been revealed once more, and the original Victorian stained glass window at the top of the west gable can be seen again from the interior of the hall.

Because it was in need of repair, the window was carefully removed and taken to a local craftsman for renovation and re-leading – it seems that, whilst some of the newer glass dates from the Victorian era, some of the more decorative panes are many hundreds of years old and most likely taken from another window, possibly from the Gent family estate, the benefactors of the original school.

There was also a school clock, housed in a dormer roof facing onto the adjacent lane, but this was removed during the hall's change from a school to the village hall.

Over the years the school not only served the village children but also those children evacuated to Cornish Hall End and the surrounding farms during the Second World War, when nearly 100 children attended it.

In the 1950's the use of the building as a school ended and it was donated to the village for use as its Village Hall, and opened by Mr ER Yates in 1956 following an initial refurbishment, "made possible by contributions and enthusiastic help received from all residents of Cornish Hall End."

More recently, under the leadership of its Chair, Peter Dacey, the hall underwent a major refurbishment to leave a lasting legacy for future generations of users. After nearly 3 years of planning and fund raising by the Management Trustees and volunteers, the work was successfully completed and the Hall re-opened in September 2019 with all new, modern facilities as can be viewed elsewhere on this site.

2025 The hall was extensively redecorated in the summer of 2025, to maintain its high quality finish.

Historical Gallery

Journey through time with these historic photographs of our village hall

Historic Cornish Hall End School

The Village School

Historic photograph

School Days

School Days

Educational years

Historic View

Early Years

Historic view

Village Archives

Community Heritage

From our archives

Click on any image to view a larger version

View full photo gallery →

Recent Documents

Chairman's Report

View our Chairman's report from the most recent Annual General Meeting (AGM):

Chairman's Report 2024

AGM Minutes

View the Annual General Meeting (AGM) Minutes from 3 October 2024:

Annual General Meeting (AGM) Minutes 3.10.24